Competition # 19-16
0.4 FTE Tahltan Teacher – Telegraph Creek School
Are you a Teacher qualified to teach Tahltan? Would you like to live in a small community? Teach in a school with small class sizes? Would you like a change of scenery? Does northern living interest you? Do you like the outdoors? What if you could go fishing, hiking, snowshoeing, canoeing, kayaking, snowmobiling, hunting, quadding, boating, skiing, mountain biking and more right from your doorstep? If any of this, appeals to you then Telegraph Creek is the place for you. The amazing region of the Stikine is a wilderness explorer’s paradise and an area with some of the most stunning natural beauty you will see anywhere. Telegraph Creek offers a great family lifestyle with affordable living. Telegraph Creek is home to the Tahltan First Nation so you will be immersed in First Nations culture and traditions.
Please view our website at http://www.sd87.bc.ca/
This part time teaching position is available starting September 1, 2019. The successful candidate should have exceptional interpersonal skills in a cross-cultural setting and an ability to work closely with students, parents and education personnel.
We welcome teachers who have:
- A Diploma in teaching Indigenous languages
- Fluent in Tahltan
- Excellent teaching, planning and assessment skills
- The ability to connect with students in trusting and supportive ways, clarify problems and challenges, and restore harmony and respect
- Willingness to engage in the communities and northern lifestyle
- A sound knowledge of provincial Intermediate curricula
- Strong classroom management skills
- Successful experience working in a northern community
- A commitment to employing differentiated instruction and effective formative assessment
- A team player committed to the belief that all students can learn
- Successful experience with the integration of First Nations Language and Culture
- Qualified to teach in BC Public Schools
For additional information, contact Mr. Mike Gordon at 250-771-4440. Applications with supporting documentation including references, proof of B.C. certification and T.Q.S. should be submitted to:
School District No.87 (Stikine)
P.O. Box 190, Dease Lake, BC V0C 1L0
Phone: (250) 771-4440
Fax: (250) 771-4441
The position will be open until filled.