New Westminster Schools Job Opportunity
- Reports to the Manager of Operations and Transportation
- Maintains in a clean, safe and sanitary condition those furnishings, fixtures and structures within assigned areas according to established standards and procedures
- Performs daily, monthly and holiday cleaning duties
- Performs duties such as sweeping, vacuuming, scrubbing, waxing, clean furniture, cleaning windows, cleaning light fixtures, cleaning bathrooms, washing paintwork, moving furniture and equipment, shoveling snow, replacing light bulbs, ordering supplies and routine repair using ordinary hand tools
- Responsible for the care of tools, equipment and materials used and leaving the work site in a safe condition
- Ensures building is in a secure condition and alarm systems are in operation during and after school hours as required
- Performs related duties as required.
- Grade 12 graduation preferred
- Building Service Worker Certification
- Minimum 6 months experience preferred
- Physical aptitude and ability appropriate to the position
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with staff, students and the community
- Ability to understand and effectively carry out oral and written instructions
- Ability to arrange and prioritize an effective work schedule under a minimum of direct supervision
Hours of Work & Salary:
Casual/on-call shifts vary in length from 4 to 8 hours per day
- Typically 3pm - 11pm
- Short-term assignments may also be available
- Casual employment may lead to a regular Custodian position in the district
- Casual Custodian rate is $22.37 per hour
To apply for this position, click on the APPLY ONLINE button at the bottom of the page. Please include your resume, including copies of certificates or diplomas and references..
School District No. 40 (New Westminster) is an equal opportunity employer. Successful Completion of a Criminal Record Search is a legislated requirement.
About New Westminster Schools
The New Westminster School District has a rich tapestry of cultures, backgrounds, learning styles and needs. Together, we are a caring, inclusive, and committed learning community dedicated to supporting each of our unique learners so they will have the skills and competencies they need to be productive and successful citizens in a rapidly changing world.
The City of New Westminster sits in the centre of Metro Vancouver between the larger communities of Burnaby, Coquitlam, Surrey and Richmond. Despite its location, the city is relatively small and has retained a strong sense of history and community. The total population is approximately 70,000 and is expected to grow to 84,000 by 2021.
The student population is reflective of the city’s population, with a full range of social and cultural backgrounds forming a diverse presence in our schools. In the Kindergarten to Grade 12 system, there are 6,385 students.