POSTING NO. 19-62 - Casual On-Call Education Assistants
Applications are invited for Casual On-Call Education Assistants, to be employed on an on-call basis when the regular Education Assistants are absent due to illness or other reasons, while school is in session, effective as soon as possible after the posting closes. In applying for this position, you are indicating that you are willing to work full days, at all worksites, Monday to Friday, as needed.
Education Assistants work in a variety of school and community settings under the direction of a certified teacher.
RESPONSIBILITIES include assisting in any of the following:
1) Implementation of a student’s individual Education plan;
2) Implementation of a personal care plan for physically or mentally challenged students including but not limited to: toileting and/or catheterization, mobility training, lifting, seizure management, feeding, personal hygiene and supervision of medication;
3) Implementation of behavioural management plans;
4) The social, vocational, and academic training of individuals or groups;
5) Materials preparation;
6) Transportation of students to various program activities;
7) Protecting and respecting the confidentiality of information; and
8) Will be expected to directly supervise students in the pool as part of the swim program.
QUALIFICATIONS will include a two-year post-secondary diploma in Special Education (or relevant discipline) or one-year relevant post-secondary education (approximately 700 to 1100 hours of instruction) at a recognized post-secondary institution, combined with one year relevant experience.
The successful applicants will possess the following SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Demonstrated ability and knowledge of strategies to work successfully with students with mental, physical, learning and/or behavioural challenges;
Ability to work harmoniously as a member of an inter-disciplinary team of professionals and para-professionals;
Computer literacy and experience with technological assists, such as Kurzweill, Minspeak and Dragon Naturally Speaking.
The successful applicants may be required to demonstrate that they are capable of performing the physical requirements of the position and to certify that they have no known pre-existing medical conditions which would prevent them from performing their duties.
Only applications with the following documentation will be considered:
School District Application For Employment - Non-Teaching—available on the School District web site www.sd72.bc.ca;
(resumes may also be attached to the application)
2. Covering letter indicating why you are seeking this position;
3. Three professional references;
4. A copy of Grade 12 certificate or equivalent; and
5. Copies of related post-secondary Diploma(s) or certificates of achievement and required licenses.
The rate of pay for this position is $24.88 per hour, in accordance with the current Collective Agreement with the Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 723. Hours of work will be determined by the needs of the student or students.
Interested candidates are invited to apply through Make a Future
In the event of challenges with the Make a Future website, candidates may contact Make a Future directly for assistance at 1-877-900-5627, ext. 224; or, 1-866-806-6851. Alternatively,
candidates may contact the Human Resources Department at SD72 at (250) 830-2351 or
visit our office at 425 Pinecrest Road in Campbell River for further information about the posting,
or for assistance in creating a PDF of their application.
Applications for this posting will be accepted on an ongoing basis until
4:00 p.m., December 20, 2019.
Please address cover letter to Yves Vachon, Director, Human Resources
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those applicants selected for further discussion will be contacted or acknowledged. The successful candidate(s) will be required to complete a criminal record check.