Temporary Position effective March 12, 2018 to March 15, 2019
In the West Vancouver School District, we set high expectations for our more than 7,200 students who come from the District of West Vancouver, the Squamish Nation, the Village of Lions Bay and across the water from Bowen Island. We aspire to be the finest education system in the country – for our children, our employees, our community and our world.
We are seeking a full time detailed oriented, energetic person to join our West Vancouver team in the position of Homestay Manager. The successful candidate will be a person who demonstrates an ability to execute the vision of the West Vancouver Board of Education’s Homestay program. The role involves providing timely support and sound advice to students, homestay families and oversea parents. Reporting to the District Administrator, International Programs, the Homestay Manager is responsible for leading and developing the Homestay team including the coordinators.
- Recruits prospective homestay families through a variety of channels such as direct contact, promotion in schools, advertisements in local periodicals and online media, etc.
- Interviews, selects and approves suitable families and their homes for inclusion in the homestay program.
- Monitors and evaluates the suitability of all homestay families. Disciplines, dismisses and reports, where necessary, non-compliant families.
- Management of Homestay Coordinators including recruitment; hiring; performance management; and discipline.
- Regularly inspects homes for safety and policy compliance.
- Develops homestay policies that reflect program goals, industry standards, local bylaws, and provincial and federal laws.
- Maintains quality assurance and program evaluation mechanisms.
- Conducts information and training sessions for new and existing families through one-on-one sessions, small group meetings, and large-scale events.
- Places long-term and short-term students into the most suitable homestay family.
- Resolves conflicts between students and families.
- Designs and delivers student-training sessions at each New Student Orientation to ensure students are successful in their accommodation environment.
- Relocates students, if necessary to more suitable accommodation.
- Liaise with appropriate internal and government authorities to properly document and report any non-compliant behavior.
- Reconciles homestay revenue and disbursements.
- Budget responsibility including: quarterly reporting; annual budget forecasting; and reconciling revenue and disbursements for the program.
- Reports regularly to leadership regarding current homestay enrolment, forecasted enrolment, topical issues, etc.
- Coordinates and develops in collaboration with other managers the training and professional development of staff.
- Responds to off-hours emergency calls, including acting as a crisis response team member in concert with the District Administrator and Vice Principal.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the District Administrator or Vice Principal.
The successful applicant will possess:
- Minimum two (2) years post-secondary. Business degree or certificate preferred. Other combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- Ability to work weekends and evenings as required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of office procedures and standard office equipment.
- Demonstrated exceptional interpersonal and communication skills.
- Cross cultural understanding and sensitivity.
- Experience working in homestay services preferred.
- Experience interacting with international students.
- Ability to use judgment and tact in providing information.
- Exceptional organization skills and a demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision and exercise a high level of initiative and responsibility.
- Demonstrated management experience, preferably in a unionized environment.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with parents, students and homestay families in a multi-cultural environment.
- Demonstrated proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Advanced knowledge of database programs, reports, queries. Knowledge of School District administrative software preferred.
The District offers a competitive compensation package commensurate with qualifications.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a resume via www.makeafuture.ca/west-vancouver by 1:00pm on January 17, 2018. Please note that email and fax applications will not be accepted. Please visit the Job Opportunities page on www.westvancouverschools.ca for more details on the application process.
Successful applicants not currently employed by West Vancouver Schools are required to sign a “consent for Criminal Record Search” to permit a criminal record review. Only those individuals under consideration will be contacted.