The South Okanagan offers a picturesque rural setting where we enjoy moderate short winters and hot, sunny summers. Our area boasts strong community spirit, an active arts community, and varied indoor and outdoor recreation activities. It's the best of two worlds, quiet rural community with varied activities and living in close proximity to larger cities in the Okanagan with easy highway access to the Lower Mainland. Come to the Okanagan Similkameen and see where your career takes you!
SCHOOL: Okanagan Corrections Centre
POSTING: #105 - 2017/18 - REPOST
POSITION: Teacher at Okanagan Corrections Centre (Humanities)
APPOINTMENT: 1.0 FTE Temporary
DURATION: February 1 (or by mutual agreement) to June 30, 2018
This position is located at the Okanagan Correctional Centre in Oliver, BC and involves working with adult students who may possess unique learning needs and behaviour challenges.
1. degree in secondary education with a major in humanities (English, social studies) and the capacity
to teach art;
2. successful experience teaching at the secondary or adult education level in an alternate setting to
support students with behaviour/learning challenges (preference is experience teaching in a penal
system or relevant field);
3. experience and understanding of Aboriginal culture and history, and First Peoples Principles of
4. ability to adapt curriculum, programs and instruction to create learning resources that suit the
unique environment of teaching in the penal system;
5. ability to model, teach and foster social, emotional and cultural awareness;
6. demonstrated ability to build productive and supportive relationships to connect and motivate
students, who have not previously been successful in school;
7. demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment and contribute to the professional
community at the school and district level;
8. effective communication, interpersonal, organizational and classroom management skills; and
9. BC Professional Teaching Certificate and current eligibility for Teacher Qualification Service card.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 3:00 PM, January 19, 2018.
For further information please contact the principal at (250) 498-4597.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.