LEARNING SUPPORT WORKER
Position: Education Assistant (Learning Support Worker)
Rate: $28.98 per hour (Current rate)
Hours: 32.5 hours per week, School Term
Start/End Dates September 3, 2019
NATURE AND SCOPE OF WORK:
This is specialized work supporting students with learning difficulties. An employee of this class is based at Student Services and provides learning assistance throughout the School District by performing a variety of learning support programs with an individual or groups of students. These tasks are determined by the needs of the individual or groups, so that each situation will be as unique as the student(s) they are assisting. Employees will be required to bring specialized skills, to assist students who have learning difficulties and to support the teachers and staff who work with them. The work requires considerable initiative, emotional stability, empathy and understanding of the many varied issues these students face. This position requires sound judgement in dealing with a variety of situations under the general supervision of a teacher(s). Work performance is reviewed and evaluated by an administrator in terms of effective services rendered to students and staff.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
- Considerable knowledge of learning theories, learning intervention strategies and literacy development required.
- Considerable knowledge of district programs in the areas of literacy and numeracy.
- Considerable knowledge of the academic course content and non-academic programs as required for assigned students.
- Considerable knowledge of self-management and stress reduction techniques for students who have learning disabilities and other associated behaviours.
- Considerable knowledge of the methods and practices related to the learning styles and other needs of students who have learning disabilities.
- Working knowledge of methods and procedures in controlling and regulating the behaviour of students.
- Working knowledge of child development.
- Working knowledge of basic first aid.
- Ability to assist in the development and implementation of student Individual Education Plan(s) or other student plan(s).
- Ability to perform a variety of record keeping tasks, including the collection and monitoring of data, and report student progress.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with students with special needs.
- Ability to function cooperatively with staff, professional personnel and parents.
- Ability to monitor, adapt and respond to meet the varying medical, physical, educational, social, emotional and behavioural needs of students.
- Ability to utilize a computer and educational software applications, audio-visual equipment and other educational equipment as necessary.
- Ability to administer basic first aid.
DESIRABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
Completion of the 12th grade or equivalent, plus basic first aid, supplemented by a Special Education Teacher Assistant Certificate, and successful completion of courses in learning disabilities e.g. Orton-Gillingham, Phono-Graphix, or training in education. Minimum three years experience including at least one year working with learning disabled students or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
REQUIRED LICENSES, CERTIFICATES AND REGISTRATIONS:
Special Education Teacher Assistant Certificate or equivalent.
We wish to thank all applicants, and we will be reviewing applications mid to end of August 2019.
Only those candidates selected to move forward in the application process will be contacted.
Successful applicants will be subject to two criminal record check
*From its coastal beaches to its mountain forests, North Vancouver’s natural setting offers year-round recreational opportunities. North Vancouver School District’s values of Trust, Respect, Responsibility and Collaboration make it “the natural place to learn” for students, and “the natural place to work” for our staff.
For more information about careers in North Vancouver, please visit: www.makeafuture.ca/north-vancouver or www.sd44.ca