A temporary full-time (1.0) Secondary PE/Humanities/Career Ed teacher is required by School District No. 60 (Peace River North) effective September 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020. The assignment will be at Prespatou Elementary/Secondary School.
Prespatou Elementary Secondary is a vibrant K-12 school located in a beautiful rural setting approximately one hour’s drive from Fort St John. The school’s population is just over 320 students from Kindergarten to grade 12. Prespatou School services a broad range of students from the communities of Prespatou, Buick Creek and Blueberry River First Nations. The students speak a variety of languages such as Low German, Beaver, Cree and Russian. Our students enjoy an active lifestyle at home and at school. The school building is the hub for the community with many events held regularly (meetings, gym nights, sewing, music, dinners, weddings). Educational services provided include English as a Second Language, Learning Assistance, and Inclusion. Staffing currently includes 16 K-12 teachers, 3.5 support educators and 9 support staff. We value the relationship between school, community and our PAC. Our PAC has 12 elected members who meet monthly. For more information please see www.prespatou.prn.bc.ca.
Qualifications and Experience
- Valid BC Ministry of Education Teaching Certificate (or eligible for)
- Experience with adapting and modifying curriculum to meet the needs of students
- Qualifications and ability to teach the identified subjects at the graduation level.
- Experience/training/knowledge of Positive Behavior Support (PBS) ability/desire to work collaboratively with students and parents
- Strong literacy and numeracy skills
- Experience planning with Teachers and Education Assistants and a willingness to work in a collaborative model regarding curriculum, assessment, instruction and planning
- Ability to work as part of a team to develop and implement individualized learning plans for students with academic, social, emotional and physical learning difficulties and adjust to the needs of the students
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, collaborative and organizational skills
- Strong classroom management skills, while maintaining student dignity
- Cognizant of the learning outcomes and evaluation processes outlined in the provincial curriculum
- Experience or willingness to work within a Project/Problem Based Learning environment
- Committed to professional development
- Experience or knowledge of Assessment for Learning
- Ability to differentiate instruction and support varying learning needs
- Training in teaching ELL students
- Commitment and a willingness to work with colleagues on staff development activities
linked to school goals for enhancing student learning.
Interested applicants are required to supply
- Three (3) references
- Verification of qualifications (BC Teacher Certificate)
- $1400 relocation allowance for teachers from BC, AB and Yukon and up to $2000 for teachers from other areas
- $2,520.09 recruitment allowance (paid over 10 months of the school year, based on the FTE)
- Salary as per collective agreement. Current salary grid is $47,821 to $89,708
- Benefits as per collective agreement with option to enrol in medical, dental, extended health, and group life insurance. Benefits are employer paid based on FTE
- Isolation allowance of $970.10 paid over 10 months
For more information please contact:
Todd Koponyas, Principal, Prespatou Elementary-Secondary 250.263.5943 or email@example.com
All applications with relevant documentation must be made through
Make A Future for consideration for the position
About School District 60
School District 60 is noted for innovative educational practices and excellent cooperative relationships between all educational partners. Our district is made up of dedicated, energetic professionals for whom the achievement and well-being of their students is a first priority. Together we challenge, encourage and support all learners to be responsible for developing their abilities with respect for self, others and the environment.
School District 60 is progressive and growing. There are 22 schools in School District No. 60 (Peace River North). The district’s schools provide education services to approximately 6000 ethnically and demographically diverse students.
School District 60 is located on the eastern side of the Rocky Mountains in the northern tip of the Canadian Prairies in beautiful Fort St. John, BC. Fort St John is 478 km northeast of Prince George and 1,237 km north of Vancouver, situated near the border with neighbouring Alberta, 214 km west of Grande Prairie, Alberta. The region’s economy is prosperous and expanding. Fort St John is a city for all seasons and year-round playground for those who like pristine wilderness, an active lifestyle, cosmopolitan city life and the enthusiasm of an energetic community.
Why School District 60
- Professional development opportunities
- Supportive culture of teacher collaboration
- Curriculum and teacher supports
- French Immersion, music, & outdoor education programs
- Advanced technology facilities and resources
- Progressive and growing district
- Innovative educational practices
School District No. 60 (Fort St John)
10112 105 Avenue, Fort St John, BC V1J 4S4