Temporary Full-Time (2020.21 academic year)
Mulgrave is an independent, non-denominational, co-educational school which is committed to providing an excellent academic programme from Pre-K through Grade 12. We are now inviting applications for an Outdoor Education Teacher for the 2020.21 academic year.
This is a key role in Mulgrave’s Outdoor Education (OE) department, with responsibility for contributing to the ongoing development of the OE program, including planning and executing the school’s extensive Pre-K to grade 12 program, in close collaboration with other members of the Outdoor Education team. The successful applicant will be a knowledgeable, experienced and enthusiastic outdoor educator.
This position includes a teaching component, dependent on the successful candidate’s interest and experience. Preference will be given to candidates with successful teaching experience at the Upper School (G7-12) level.
Duties and Responsibilities
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Help in the development and facilitation of a variety of outdoor education experiences on and off campus
- Development and supervision of a variety of overnight and weekend trips throughout the year
- Work with a variety of grade levels from Pre-K to grade 12
- Establish strong, positive relationships with students and foster a healthy environment for outdoor education in accordance with the mission and values of the school
- Execute the policies and procedures relevant to the scope of operations within the department
- Administrative tasks associated with the outdoor education program
- Outdoor Education gear maintenance, repair, and inventorying
- Must be a Canadian resident and/or legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must meet or be willing to obtain all requirements to be certified to teach in British Columbia
- Minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in Education, or the equivalent
- Demonstrated excellence in interacting with students of a variety of ages
- Class 4 Driver’s license, or ability to obtain by August 2020
- Current Wilderness First Aid Certification, or ability to obtain by August 2020
- Clear vision of the role that outdoor education plays in the personal development of young people
- A high level of physical fitness and passion for the outdoors
- Commitment to the highest standards of professional conduct in relation to risk management and adherence to outdoor industry best practices
Preferred Experience and Qualities:
- Knowledge of one or more IB programmes (DP, MYP, or PYP)
- At least three years’ successful experience as an Outdoor Education or classroom teacher in a school setting
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Strong organisational, communication, administrative and interpersonal skills
- Familiarity with Google Apps for Education
- Sea Kayak Guide Alliance of BC Kayaking AOG (or equivalent)
- Professional training and/or certification in some of the following areas: Bronze Cross, NLS, Nordic skiing, Avalanche safety, Search and Rescue, Backpacking, Canoeing, Climbing, etc.
Please see our website for further information about our school and a detailed job description at www.mulgrave.com.
Your resume and covering letter should be submitted to https://mulgrave.bamboohr.co.uk/jobs/ by February 29, 2020.
We thank all interested parties. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.