Company operating name: Pythagoras Academy Society
Business address: 8671 Odlin Crescent, Richmond, BC, V6X 1G1
Title of the position: Mathematics and Science teacher
Pythagoras Academy is an exceptional co-educational independent school for students Junior Kindergarten to Grade 8. Our school prides itself on a unique educational philosophy which champions the role of the Fine Arts. We believe in encouraging creativity in our students and consider it to be one of the most valuable and transferable core skills.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Planning, implementing and assessing the B.C. math and science curriculum
- Developing and executing lessons that reflect the BC core competencies and curricular competencies
- Evaluating the academic and social growth of students
- Employing a variety of methodologies in teaching and instructing pupils, including facilitating discovery tasks, discussions, demonstrations and hands on learning
- Adapting mathematics curriculum for individual, small group, and remedial instruction to meet the needs of identified students or subgroups of students
- Maintaining the math and science curriculum development in the school, serving as a resource, and working to ensure that assigned functions meet established objectives and requirements.
- Establishing classroom, lab, and field trip rules and regulations and carrying out these activities safely
- Assisting with the training of and providing support to new teachers
- Participating in other school activities and regularly communicating with parents.
Ability to liaise with colleagues and communicate with parents on a regular basis
Ability to prepare, develop and deliver engaging differentiated lessons to students
Ability to evaluate, assess and report on students' academic and social growth
- BC Teaching Certificate (or application stage)
- Bachelor’s degree in education
- Strong communication skills in English, both spoken and written
- Strong work ethic and professional commitment
- Excellence in interpersonal skills
- Canadian citizenship or Permanent Resident
As an educator, you embody these qualities:
- Passion: you deeply enjoy the craft of educating, your focus is on inspiring your students.
- Technical knowledge: you are knowledgeable about how to help students to gain skills and a deeper understanding of concepts.
- Curiosity: you are a naturally curious person and you help to foster curiousity in your students.
- Innovation: your planning involves novel and engaging methods of instruction.
- Social Emotional intelligence: you are skilled at teaching in a way that helps students to feel safe to be themselves and to develop confidence.
Compensation: Pythagoras Academy teaching salaries are 5% above Richmond School Board salaries.
Language of work: English
Skills requirements (includes education and work experience): Math and Science experience preferred
Job related experience: 2-year experience teaching required
Wage: $53,325.00 - $85,541.00 depending on experience
Benefits package offered: RRSP / Group Benefit
Location of work (local area, city or town): Urban area
Terms of employment (for example, project based, permanent position): Full-time, Contract