SKEETCHESTN COMMUNITY SCHOOL JOB OPPORTUNITY:
Secwepemc Culture and Language Teacher
Skeetchestn Community School is seeking a part-time Secwepemc Culture and Language Teacher. The Skeetchestn Indian Band is a rural First Nation Community located approximately 60 kilometers West of Kamloops, British Columbia. The Band strives to support the membership and community, while preserving its cultural and traditional values. Skeetchestn Indian Band fosters a collaborative Culture; open, friendly, team-based, participative, and consensus driven. The Skeetchestn Community School offers Kindergarten through Grade 12. The school contains a total of 5 classrooms; a gymnasium; a library/resource centre.
Under the direction of the Principal, Secwepemc culture and language Teacher will instruct students in Secwepemc language and culture and provide one to one support and/or small group reinforcement to students in literacy.
REQUIREMENTS OF POSITION:
1. Valid BC Teacher’s Certificate and/or Valid BC Language certificate
2. Bachelor of Education Degree
-Must undergo a criminal record check
-Driver’s License- Class 5 with clean drivers abstract
- Semi-fluent/Fluent in Secwepemctsín
- Firm Understanding of BC Core Competencies
- Proven successful experience integrating technology into teaching and learning
- Familiarity with and understanding of local Secwepemc culture and a commitment to integrate into the curriculum.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with learning community
- The ability to establish a positive and relaxed learning environment with high expectations for all Learns
- Experience/training in Read Well, Reading Mastery, and Corrective Reading is an asset.
- Familiar with FNESC/FNSA
- Successful experienceworking with First Nation students
Part-time classroom teacher 1.0FTE (Contract September 3, 2019 – June 30, 2020)
a. Based on a 7.0 hour work day, 5 days per week (8:30am to 3:30pm)
b. Additional hours (included in contract) may be required at the discretion of School Principal
-inclusive of meetings, supervision and planning required for exemplary teaching and support of the school’s instructional programs. Inclusive of all School Professional Days and Staff Meetings.
-inclusive of special events, special supervision or planning and special meetings required to support cultural and instructional programs outside of regular work hours.
Contract amount to be paid bi-weekly. Hourly wage based on experience and classification.
Additional Contract Benefits based on Skeetchestn Indian Band Benefits Package per Skeetchestn Indian Band policy, including:
a. Pension plan contributions matched to the maximum of 5.5%. (Options: 2.5%, 3.75%, 5.5%)
b. Volunteer contributions to a personal pension plan hosted by Band Group Pension Plan.
Forward your resume and cover letter and clearly indicate the title of the position to which you are applying. Late or Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applications will be accepted: Ongoing
Skeetchestn Community School
Attention: Bryce Ross, Principal
PO Box 178, Savona, BC V0K 2JO Fax: 250-373-2429 Email: email@example.com
Thank you for your interest, however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.