Set in one of the world’s most livable cities, Vancouver is a community-minded district seeking talented educators, progressive leaders, and skilled support staff to enrich the learning experience of Vancouver’s 50,000 students.
The Vancouver Board of Education welcomes applications for:
Permanent Education Assistant On-call with Benefits
(On-Call School and Student Support A)
Position Type: Permanent On-Call
Salary: $26.38/hour plus a comprehensive benefits plan
Benefits: Deferred savings, pension, MSP, dental, extended health
Hours: 6.5 hours per day, 5 days per week
(Working months: Sept to June each year)
These positions are full-time continuing contracts (full-time guaranteed work with benefits). Typically, you would be placed in long-term temporary placements covering medical or maternity leaves. You may also be placed in a continuing contract or required to work day to day in different schools. This position is different from the On-Call Education Assistant (School & Student Support A) posting, as this position would require you to work every day. Once hired, you can apply to any internal continuing postings during the year.
Applicants must be available to work throughout the district. VSB schools are located (east-to-west) between Boundary Road and UBC area and (north-to-south) between Downtown and Marine Drive. In some circumstances, you may also be required to go to two locations on the same day (e.g., travel to one school for the morning and another school for the afternoon) within a reasonable distance.
Responsibilities vary from site to site. Your duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Collecting data and tracking student progress
- Supporting the student to manage their behavior and fostering positive interactions between the student and their peers
- Implement individualized programs and activities while focusing on building independence
- Providing personal care: Dressing, toileting (may include diaper changes), feeding, lifting/transfers (i.e., to and from wheelchair)
- Escorting student on community outings and travelling throughout the city. Some Secondary positions require the SSA to accompany and support students on work experience at various sites
- Must be willing to obtain an Occupational First Aid certificate and will be required to perform Occupational First Aid if assigned by the Supervisor. OFA attendants may, at the direction of Employee Services, be required to perform emergency coverage at other locations
- Completion of Grade 12
- Completion of a recognized Post-Secondary Special Education Assistant program, or a Degree/Diploma in a related field, and/or extensive experience in an equivalent field
- Ability to lift and position students of varying weights
- Excellent communication skills in English, both oral and written
The following are considered to be an asset:
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention training (e.g., CPI or MANDT)
- An excellent practicum or work evaluation
- Experience using techniques of Applied Behaviour Analysis
- Completion of POPARD coursework
- Ability to speak a second language
Your application must include:
- Cover letter
- Contact information for three supervisor references (phone numbers and email addresses)
**Posting is ongoing until filled. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible**
Please be informed, due to a high volume of applications, we are
unable to notify unsuccessful applicants or respond to inquiries regarding the
status of an application. We will
contact applicants directly if we are interested in moving forward or if an
application required additional information.
In accordance with the Criminal Records Review Act, selected candidates must sign a consent form to permit a criminal record review with a $28.00 processing fee. Employment with the Vancouver Board of Education is subject to passing this criminal record review.
MAKE A FUTURE APPLICATION PROCESS
- If you do not have a profile on Make a Future, please create a profile under the category, “ECE, EA/TA/ERW, Clerical, Secretarial, Administrative, Custodians, ect.”
- Once you have created your profile then, while you are logged in, please search this ad again and then click the "apply now" button at the end of this ad. You will then be able to apply and upload any supporting documents to the competition and answer the job posting questions.
- You will automatically receive an email from this website letting you know your application to the competition has been received.