Vancouver College founded in 1922, is a Catholic school for boys with over 1,000 students from
K – Gr. 12. The school is well known for its spiritual program, outstanding academics, an
expansive extra and co-curricular program, and high caliber teaching staff.
Approaching its next century of providing inspiring education for young men, Vancouver
College has embarked on a process of continuous improvement, pedagogical transformation
and campus renewal; as it leads the way in innovative practice while honouring its deeply rooted
The policy of Vancouver College is to hire, when available, qualified Catholics, who in addition
to carrying out their professional responsibilities will model the values espoused by Blessed
Edmund Rice as articulated by the school’s Essential Elements.
POSITION: ASSISTANT PRINCIPAL, SENIOR SCHOOL
Priority Consideration will be given to candidates who possess the following:
● Current pastoral reference, confirming candidate is a practicing Roman Catholic
● A postgraduate degree in administration or related field or enrolment in a post graduate
● A minimum of 3 years successful administrative or equivalent educational leadership
● Full-time (1.0 FTE) continuing position
● Will have demonstrated a commitment and proficiency related to professional learning,
instructional leadership, collegiality, communication and organization.
● Holds a Teaching Certificate of Qualification issued by the BC Ministry of Education
Duties and Responsibilities:
The incumbent is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the Senior School in the following
1. Organizes procedures, which ensure accurate record-keeping of attendance,
achievement, and standardized test results.
2. Oversees admissions, registration and withdrawal procedures of students in Grades
3. Reports teacher absences for Senior School and coordinates substitute services and
4. Ensures staff and students are familiar with Emergency Procedures Protocols.
5. In collaboration with the other Assistant Principals, assumes the role of
Principal in the absence of the Principal.
6. May be nominated by the Principal to serve as the Principal’s representative on a Board
7. Serves as an ad hoc member of the Executive of the Parents’ Association.
8. Ensures the Campus Ministry Team conducts effective programs in the Senior School.
1. Ensures consistency and accountability in the daily actualization of the school Code of
2. Oversees the supervision of Senior School students at school and school-related
3. Promotes an atmosphere that will foster desirable student/teacher/home relationship.
4. Organizes and coordinates student assemblies as required.
1. Oversees the induction of teachers new to Vancouver College and oversees the
orientation of teachers new to the Senior School.
2. Holds regular and systematic section and team meetings.
3. In consultation with the Principal, determines elective courses and teacher assignments.
4. Oversees course selection and master timetable process for the Senior School.
1. Oversee the admissions process for students entering Grades 10, 11 and 12, including
International Students, in a manner consistent with the Admissions Priority
Considerations and recommends candidates to the President and Principal.
2. Assists the Assistant Principal of the Middle School with Open House and writing of
3. Engages all teachers in the Senior School in an annual Professional Growth Plan and
monitors each plan in such a way to enhance the teacher learning process.
4. Supervises Senior School staff regularly to ensure curriculum objectives are being met.
5. Assists the Principal in the formal evaluation of staff as required.
6. Promotes and supports Professional Development activities for teachers in the Senior
1. Assists the Principal in hiring of new staff as required.
2. Establishes collaborative relationships with staff, which will contribute to good staff
morale and an atmosphere permitting professional academic growth.
3. Assists the Principal in establishing and maintaining a positive relationship with the
4. Ensures effective communication with the Vancouver College Community through
newsletters and electronic means.
1. Ensures Senior School teachers are engaged in the process of continuous improvement
as prescribed by the school’s Continuous Improvement Framework.
2. In consultation with the Principal, engages in other initiatives assigned to improve
programming at Vancouver College.
3. Oversee the preparation of course outlines in Grade 10 to Grade 12.
Application Deadline: Submit applications with supporting documents to Mr. Johnny Bevacqua,
Principal, c/o firstname.lastname@example.org by March 2, 2020.
Employment Start Date: August 17, 2020