The Vancouver Board of Education welcomes applications for:
School and Student Support (SSA)
Urgent Intervention Process (formerly MIST) Team - Challenging Behaviour
Temporary Position until June 2019
Hourly Rate: $26.38 + 18.6% in lieu of all benefits and statutory holidays
SSA's are paid for 6.5 hours per day for a full shift (30 minute unpaid lunch)
In collaboration with and under the direction of the Urgent Intervention Process Team (UIP), this position serves the needs of elementary and secondary high and low incidence students within the District who exhibit a significant need for additional support and instruction in the area of significant behaviour, mental health and/or cognitive delays.
Responsibilities vary from site to site. Your duties include, but are not limited to:
- Implements individual programs and contracts for students who are unable to function in a regular classroom setting under the direction of a senior member of the team
- Evaluates and maintains records of student progress; discusses with team members any changes which may be made to an individual student's program
- Coordinates with community agencies as required
- Organizes and participates in a wide variety of field trips, sports, social, recreational and craft activities
- Supports the student to manage their behavior and fostering positive interactions between the student and their peers
- Manages verbal and/or physical "acting out" behaviour
- Required to physically intervene with students in crisis
- Supervises students, as required, and deals with disciplinary problems as they occur
- Prepares instructional aid materials; sets up and operates instructional aid equipment
- Implements individualized programs and activities while focusing on building independence
- Provides personal care: Dressing, toileting (may include diaper changes), feeding, lifting/transfers (ie. to and from wheelchair)
- Performs other work within the band as assigned
- Will be required to travel to various schools throughout the district
- Completion of Grade 12
- Completion of a recognized Post-Secondary Special Education Assistant program, or a Degree/Diploma in a related field in Special Education
- Minimum two years related experience working with students with Challenging Behaviour
- Formal training in childcare/child development, behaviour management, and/or social-emotional learning
- Sound knowledge and related experience working with students with intellectual/emotional and/or physical challenges and implementing current intervention strategies
- Demonstrated ability to effectively assist educators in behaviour management, individual skill development and the integration process
- Knowledge and experience with ABA and CPI is required
- Excellent communication skills in English, both oral and written
Your application must include:
- Cover letter
- Contact information for three supervisor references (phone numbers and email addresses)
HOW TO APPLY:
- Click here Make a Future to create a profile
- Use Job Category "ECE, EA/TA/ERW, Clerical etc."
- Log in to the Make a Future website: http://www.makeafuture.ca/regions-districts/bc-public-school-districts/metro/vancouver/
- Search for this ad and click on "apply now" button at the end of the ad.
- Apply for the position, upload supporting documents and answer the job posting questions.
Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an email from this website letting you know that your application has been received.
Please note that in accordance with the Criminal Records Review Act, selected candidates must sign a consent form to permit a criminal record review with a $28.00 processing fee. Employment with the Vancouver Board of Education is subject to passing this criminal record review.
Please be informed, due to a high volume of applications, we are unable to notify unsuccessful applicants or respond to inquiries regarding the status of an application. We will contact applicants directly if we are interested in moving forward or if an application required additional information