The Vancouver Board of Education welcomes applications for:
On-Call School and Student Support (SSA)
Supporting Students with a Variety of Special Needs
Hourly Rate: $27.38 + 18.6% in lieu of all benefits and statutory holidays
Set in one of the world’s most livable cities, Vancouver is a community-minded district seeking talented educators, progressive leaders, and skilled support staff to enrich the learning experience of Vancouver’s 50,000 students.
Apply to work for BC’s most culturally diverse and urban school district, Vancouver School District No. 39.
Responsibilities vary from site to site. Your duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Collecting data and tracking student progress
- Supporting the student to manage their behavior and fostering positive interactions between the student and their peers
- Implement individualized programs and activities while focusing on building independence
- Providing personal care: Dressing, toileting (may include diaper changes), feeding, lifting/transfers (ie. to and from wheelchair)
- Escorting student on community outings and travelling throughout the city. Some Secondary positions require the SSA to accompany and support students on work experience at various sites
- Completion of Grade 12
- Completion of a recognized Post-Secondary Special Education Assistant program, or a Degree/Diploma in a related field, and/or extensive experience in an equivalent field
- Ability to lift and position students of varying weights
- Excellent communication skills in English, both oral and written
- The following are considered to be an asset:
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention training (e.g., CPI or MANDT)
- An excellent practicum or work evaluation
- Experience using techniques of Applied Behaviour Analysis
- Completion of POPARD coursework
- Ability to speak a second language
Your application must include:
- Cover letter
- Contact information for three supervisor references (phone numbers and email addresses)
SSA's are paid for 6.5 hours per day for a full shift (30 minute unpaid lunch)
This is an on-call position, so applicants must be available to work throughout the district. You may also be required to go to two locations on the same day (e.g., travel to one school for the morning and another school for the afternoon).
Applicants will also be considered for School and Student Support B (SSB) position (paid 7 hrs/day with a higher pay rate) if they meet the following criteria:
- Completion of Bachelor’s degree in: Psychology, Sociology, Social Work, Child and Youth Care, or Education
- 3 years experience in the following areas:
- Directly working with children or youth who demonstrate a higher need for support in the areas of social-emotional learning, behaviour, learning disabilities, mental health, or complex trauma.
- Assessing and supporting the social, emotional, behavioural, mental health and/or learning needs of students.
- Implementing various behavior support and/or self-regulation programs and modifying intervention strategies for students with diverse needs.
- Working with students exhibiting challenging behaviours, FAS, conduct disorders and implementing various learning and behavior management strategies.
- Planning and effectively carrying out activities to promote student development.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Click here Make a Future to create a profile
- Use Job Category "ECE, EA/TA/ERW, Clerical etc."
- Log in to the Make a Future website: http://www.makeafuture.ca/regions-districts/bc-public-school-districts/metro/vancouver/
- Search for this ad and click on "apply now" button at the end of the ad.
- Apply for the position, upload supporting documents and answer the job posting questions.
Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an email from this website letting you know that your application has been received.
Please be informed, due to a high volume of applications, we are unable to notify unsuccessful applicants or respond to inquiries regarding the status of an application. We will contact applicants directly if we are interested in moving forward or if an application required additional information