Posting #1920-448 District Office / Student Support Services
0.8 FTE position in the area of Teacher of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
Schedule to be determined in consultation with
the Director of Student Support Services
This position is effective immediately
Please contact Christine Love, Director of Instruction, Student Support Services (e-mail email@example.com or phone 250-542-3331) if you have specific questions relating to this position.
Successful applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Possess a valid BC Teaching Certificate, membership in the BC Teachers Regulation Branch and eligibility for a Teachers Qualification Card.
- Possess a Masters Degree in Special Education with a focus on education of the deaf and hard of hearing or a graduate diploma in a related area.
- Possess a valid BC Drivers License and a reliable vehicle for transportation during the work day.
- Enrolled for certification by The Association of Canadian Educators of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (CAEDHH) preferred.
- Fluent in American Sign Language (ASL)
- Familiarity with technology to support deaf and hard of hearing students
- Experience working in an itinerant teaching role preferred
This is an itinerant assignment that supports a wide range of deaf and hard of hearing students throughout the Vernon School District. District Itinerant DHH Teachers are required to use their personal vehicle for District business and will be compensated for mileage on a monthly basis. Responsibilities will include case management, planning, evaluation and implementation of individualized education plans (IEPs) for students, sound field system management and trouble shooting, and supervision and direction of Certified Education Assistants (CEAs) and Language Facilitators assigned to support DHH students. The assignment will require collaborative planning within a multi-disciplinary team including classroom teachers, school based personnel, itinerant district specialists, and Provincial Outreach Program staff.