“Explore. Discover. Teach.”
Alert Bay is looking for a motivated, adventurous elementary teacher who would like to join our dynamic and energetic team for a rewarding experience in our First Nation community. ‘Namgis First Nation has a population of 500 people which contributes to the overall population of Cormorant Island (approximately 1500 people).
T̓łisa̱lagi'lakw School has a total of 5 teaching staff and 75 students from junior kindergarten to grade seven. Highlighted by some of the most scenic vistas, ‘Namgis First Nation is surrounded by spectacular wildlife, and offers an endless array of activities, including whale watching, kayaking, hiking and more. ‘Namgis First Nation is approximately 11km from Port McNeil and is accessible by ferry.
Google Map Link to ‘Namgis First Nation:
If you are the candidate we are looking for, you:
- Respect our language and culture and collaboratively look for ways to ensure that our language and culture is included in your classroom;
- Exhibit classroom management skills that create a safe, positive and respectful learning climate for all students;
- Have high academic expectations for your students and understand how powerful individualized planning can be for student success;
- Still see yourself as a learner and seek professional development in the form of coaching, professional learning communities and feedback on your instruction;
- Can adjust to living in a small, rural community.
If you are seeking an opportunity in an idyllic setting with a relatively low teacher to student ratio, ‘Namgis First Nation offers a competitive salary, pension, health and dental plans. The staff contingent includes the Principal, Vice-Principal, teachers, education assistants, cultural workers and support staff.
We also ensure that all our teachers are provided with ongoing professional development opportunities through the First Nations Schools Association.
If this is the job for you, please respond to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- Cover letter and resume;
- Three professional references with contact information;
- A copy of your BC Certification.
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest in this position. However, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome application from all interested candidates.
Click here for a PDF copy of this job posting.