New Westminster Schools Career Opportunity
French Immersion Teachers to fill anticipated vacancies within our schools, and
French Immersion Teachers' Teaching on Call
About New Westminster Schools
New Westminster is located in the center of Metro Vancouver between the larger communities of Burnaby, Coquitlam, Surrey, and Richmond. Despite its location, the city is relatively small and has retained a strong sense of history and community. The total population is approximately 70,000 and is expected to grow to 84,000 by 2021. District schools are, in general, fully subscribed, and a modest increase in student enrollment is expected over the next few years.
The student population is reflective of the city’s population, with a full range of social and cultural backgrounds forming a diverse presence in our schools.
- Approximately 6,385 students in the K-12 system, made up of:
- 311 Aboriginal students;
- 1,051 English Language Learner (ELL) students;
- 993 French Immersion students; and,
- 538 students with identified Special Needs.
- 12 schools; 8 elementary, 3 middle and 1 secondary
New Westminster School District has a rich tapestry of cultures, backgrounds and needs. Together, we are a caring, inclusive, and committed learning community dedicated to supporting each of our unique learners.
The candidate will be part of, and work closely with, a collaborative team of teachers. An understanding of the BC Curriculum, effective teaching and learning practices, and a commitment to professional development are essential.
The New Westminster School District is accepting applications for qualified French Immersion Teachers' Teaching on Call at the elementary, middle, and secondary levels (all subject areas). Positions will be available immediately.
- Valid BC Teachers Certificate
- Member of the Ministry of Education Teacher Regulation Branch
- Qualified/experienced in French Immersion
- Native-like fluency in written and spoken French language
- Experience teaching French Immersion and/or formal training in French Immersion methodology
- Knowledge of effective literacy and numeracy practices and development
- Knowledge and experience in personalizing learning for all students
- Ability and willingness to work in a technologically rich learning environment
- Successful completion of a Criminal Record Search as carried out through the Ministry of Education Teacher Regulation Branch
- Solid understanding and knowledge of the new Ministry curriculum and competencies an asset
To apply for this position, click on the APPLY ONLINE button at the bottom of the page.
Please include the following with your application:
- Cover Letter
- Academic Transcripts
- Practicum and/or Evaluation Reports
- Three (3) professional references