The Abbotsford School District provides instruction to over 19,000 students from Kindergarten to Grade 12. The district employs approximately 2,200 teachers, administrators and support staff who are all dedicated to delivering leading-edge instruction and support for students. Located in Abbotsford, British Columbia - one of the fastest growing and most diverse communities in Canada. We are committed to providing learners of all ages and abilities with a multitude of innovative programs and educational support. We are guided in what we do by our mission statement "Preparing and inspiring our students for a lifetime of success through respect, opportunity and innovation".
Education & Experience:
- Teacher training with a Master's Degree or Diploma focusing on teaching the visually impaired
- Previous experience with teaching students with visual impairments
- Previous experience in related testing and assessments for the visually impaired
- Eligible for B.C. Certification
- Satisfactory teacher evaluation and/or final practicum reports
Knowledge Skills & Abilities:
- Demonstrate knowledge and ability to provide diagnostic and instructional services to students who are visually impaired.
- Demonstrate ability to work independently without direct supervision.
- Demonstrate an ability to work in a collaborative team with teachers, educational assistants, school administration. Use exemplary problem solving and communication skills.
- Willingness and ability to work with other regional school districts (Mission, Hope/Cascade, Chilliwack, Langley).
- Experience in developing and implementing Individual Education Plans
- Knowledge of the designation process for students with Visual Impairments
- Proven organizational/time management skills around itinerant schedules and timetables
- Knowledge in the revised K - 12 curriculum Plan (co-plan) and organize for effective instruction, differentiation, and assessment
- An ability to connect and collaborate with community agencies.
Teacher Proficiencies: All teachers are expected to demonstrate proficiency in the following areas:
- Communication & Interpersonal Skills: Ability to consider and respond appropriately to the needs, feelings and capabilities of others in a tactful, compassionate and respectful manner.
- Organization & Planning: Ability to plan and organize for effective instruction, differentiation and assessment
- Classroom Management: Create and maintain an optimal learning environment for each student while managing student behavior and classroom dynamics.
- Facilitation & Engagement: Ability to capture and maintain students’ interest, effort, participation and enthusiasm for both the content and the process of learning
- Assessment & Coaching: Utilize balanced assessment and feedback to improve student learning including the use of formative and summative assessment strategies.
- Collaboration & Teamwork: Collaborate with others to achieve group goals and objectives
- Caring & Inclusiveness: Create and maintain an environment that is caring, inclusive and supportive of all students
- Flexibility & Adaptability: Demonstrate flexibility in our ability to adjust and adapt to changing circumstances