COMMUNITY SCHOOL TEAM (CST) PROGRAMMER (Westside)
An exciting opportunity to support vulnerable elementary students after school with the Vancouver Board of Education
Our large, urban and multicultural school district provides programs to over 50,000 students from Kindergarten to Grade 12 and over 2,000 adults in adult education programs. Serving our diverse district in 110 facility sites, our programs and services are designed to address both complex challenges and extraordinary opportunities.
- You will plan, organize and implement lunch-time and after-school programs for secondary and elementary students in the Westside Community Schools Hub, which includes the high school and neighbouring elementary schools.
- You will recruit, train, mentor and supervise secondary school student volunteers to support programs.
- You will oversee program promotion, registration, fee collection and maintain program data and records.
- You report to and work closely with the Community Schools Coordinator to ensure that the program is implemented in a physically and emotionally safe environment and aligns with the program goals.
- Your effective communication and organizational skills will assist the Community Schools Team to provide excellent service to students in the community.
- Degree or diploma in one of the following areas: Child and Youth Care, Recreation Leadership, Human Kinetics, Community Development, Social Work or Social Sciences, Education and/or equivalent work experience and education.
- Minimum 1 year experience working with children and youth in a comparable setting
- Experience with engagement, recruitment, training and supervision of volunteers
- Experience with program supervision, management and coordination
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Working knowledge of fostering resiliency in children and youth
- Computer literacy with the following applications: Word, Excel and Outlook
- Current first aid and CPR certification (or willing to obtain)
- HIGH FIVE® Principles of Healthy Child Development certification or willing to obtain
- Valid BC driver’s license and a vehicle is an asset
The successful candidate will be required to complete and pass a criminal record check (cost $28)
The job is approximately 7-12 hours per week (availability- between 2pm - 5pm at least 1 day of the week is required) hours may be negotiable. This position may require travel to a variety of sites within a neighborhood on a regular basis. This position offers an hourly wage of $20.00 to $22.50 inclusive, depending on experience with 10.67% in lieu of vacation and benefits. The contract role will be April 2020-June 2020.
Overview of Community Schools Teams
For more information, please see the attached description and video on the school board’s website
Please send your cover letter, resume and three professional references to Peggy Chen, Community Schools Coordinator: email@example.com by February 26, 2020.
Please reference CST Westside Programmer in the subject line.