EDUCATIONAL ASSISTANT I
School District #60 has a position available for an Education Assistant I to be hired to the District and initially assigned to Bert Bowes Middle School. Applications will be accepted by the Human Resources Officer up to 12:00 noon, February 24, 2017.
Reporting to the Principal, this position is responsible for working under the direction of the classroom teacher and various district resource personnel in providing services to students.
Duties to be assigned include:
- Provides personal care on an emergent basis to students requiring such help.
(Personal Care is defined as duties which require the EAI to come into direct body contact with the student)
- Assist in the implementation of programs requiring behaviour interventions
- Experience working with children with complex behaviours.
- Give students feedback for the completion of daily work
- Provide positive emotional support to students
- Collect and record date which will assist teachers in monitoring student programs
- Attend specific workshops as requested by the principal
- Perform other job related duties as directed by the classroom teacher, the learning assistant or the School Principal
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work as part of a collaborative team
- Proven ability to develop positive relationships with students
- Knowledge of severe learning disabilities and other learning challenges
- The ability to empathize with students who have special needs and to be flexible in order to meed the learning needs of students
- Aid students with computer applications
- This position is available as long as the service is required and in addition, requirements will be assessed annually to determine continued need.
Hours of Work: Two and one half (2.5) hrs/day EAI, five days/week (8:45-11:15)
Duties to Commence: As soon as possible after closing.
Work Year Base: Ten (10) months per year
Commencing Salary: $19.85/hr
Qualifications and Attributes
The ideal candidate will have:
- Minimum of Grade 12 or equivalency, and EA Certification;
- One year training/experience working with school aged children;
- Training/experience in non-aversive behavior management programs, functional life skills curriculum personal care, and discrete-trial-format instruction and communicating with low-verbal/non-verbal children. (College courses or school district workshops with certificate of participation)
- A Criminal Records Search must be completed and results returned to the Administration Office prior to employees starting any position in the District
For More Information, Please Contact:
Priscilla Phillips, Vice Principal, BB (250) 785-6717
PLEASE NOTE: The successful candidate will require WHMIS certification. When applying for this position, please indicate the job title and competition number. If you are applying for more than one position, a separate application must be submitted. Failure to comply may result in disqualification.
Principal, Bert Bowes