OLD MASSETT VILLAGE COUNCIL
Chief Matthews School
349 Eagle Avenue PO Box 6 Old Massett Haida Gwaii V0T 1M0
Phone: (250) 626-5620 Fax: (250) 626-5690
PRIMARY GRADE 1 TEACHER
2019-2020 School year
Chief Matthews School
Chief Matthews Community School is a band-operated school located in Old Massett, Haida Gwaii.
One Full-Time (1.0 FTE) employment opportunity exists for a teacher effective immediately.
Teaching at Chief Matthews School is a sought after position. Located in the heart of Old Massett village, this school has established a level of excellence. At Chief Matthews School, we promote a healthy, safe, and fun learning environment that fosters cultural confidence; where motivated learners demonstrate respect for each other and Haida Gwaii.
We are expanding and are seeking positive and progressive individuals who have highly successful experience working with children. As a teacher here, you must be willing to meet the needs of all students and are willing to learn on the job! Although you will be taking direction in some important aspects, you will be able take action to support the students in their learning and sense of well-being. You must have high expectations of your students and yourself. In a few words; you put students first!
This is a valuable opportunity to become a member of our professional team; sharing, learning and collaborating. We take a team approach to the challenges we face and value each other for our strengths and ideas. Many of our staff have been with us for years and years, growing their practice to ensure that our results continue to improve. We are well supported by the Haida Nation, and parents and family are often partners in our journey with students. Making a difference for students is not just a dream at Chief Matthews School; it is our expectation.
- Exemplary knowledge and experience teaching language arts and math.
- Special Education experience
- Bachelors of Education
- Current BC Teaching certificate
Other Skills Required:
- Working knowledge of and experience in Haida culture
- Positive interaction with students, staff, and other community members
- Strong organizational skills and a good knowledge of teaching methods
- Willingness to work on a variety of school projects that contribute to the professional and cultural goals at the school
Applications must include:
- Cover letter and resume
- Recent teacher evaluation reports
- Three references with contact telephone numbers (one of which must be from the last teaching experience)
Ongoing until suitable applicant is found.
Send your application to:
P.O. Box 6