PO Box 1440
Port Hardy, BC
Phone: (250) 949-5722
MATERNITY - Intermediate Teacher Job Position
Are you looking for an exciting challenge? Do you want to work in a beautiful northern community where the seafood is fresh and the air is clean? Then apply to Wagalus School in Port Hardy, British Columbia!
Applicants are invited to apply for a Maternity Leave Intermediate Teacher position for the 2020-2021 school year including the end of May – end of June 2020. As the school grows, there is possibility of full-time hire. We are looking for a multi talented teacher who has teaching abilities that will provide support to student academics, culture and language, fine arts and athletics. The candidate should also have good routines to create a well-managed environment for the students to learn in..
Wagalus School is located in Fort Rupert Village on the northern coast of Vancouver Island; this unique school serves approximately 60+ students. The school strives to provide educational services to ensure every member of our community is part of our teaching/learning team. We appreciate and celebrate individual uniqueness and actively support students and staff in a quest for excellence in all that we do.
We have beautiful school facility with the entrance designed like a traditional big house that is the “heart of the school”. Our School provides grades preschool to seven, and it is governed by a strong school philosophy of care, love and respect for each and every member of our community.
If you are a strong, adventurous, creative teacher who enjoys a challenge, enjoys working as part of a school team, and who most importantly loves working with students, then this position will be of interest to you.
Position: Maternity Leave Intermediate Teacher
Application Deadline: April 30th, 2019 by 4:00 p.m. or until position filled!
The Intermediate Teacher reports to the Principal and provides classroom instruction to students in grade 3-5. Wagalus School focuses on strong reading instruction, math, and promoting Kwakwaka’wakw values and culture in the classroom. The successful candidate will have excellent planning, organizational and interpersonal skills and will have a strong ability to integrate Kwakwaka’wakw culture into all subject areas. Teachers are paid at par with surrounding school district.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach all subjects at the Intermediate level.
- Sound working knowledge and practice using Read Well and Saxon Math.
- Work cooperatively with other staff to integrate Kwak’wala language, culture and values into planning and instruction.
- Complete long-term plans, unit and day plans for assigned subjects.
- Assess student progress and use data to adapt and modify instruction.
- Working knowledge of ACADIENCE(DIBELS) and progress monitoring.
- Write student reports and maintain accurate student records.
- Communicate regularly with parents and community members.
- Participate in Professional Development activities and set professional goals.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Principal.
- Bachelor of Education Degree
- BC Teacher Certification
- Registration with the Teacher Qualification Service
- Classroom teaching experience
- Current Criminal record check clearance
Complete application packages must include a cover letter, resume and 3 professional references. Incomplete packages will not be accepted. Please send completed applications by email to:
Attention: Pehgee Aranas, Principal, email@example.com
Marion Hunt, Director, firstname.lastname@example.org