Teacher – Grade 6/7
We are currently looking for a dedicated education professional to fill the role of Grade 6/7 teacher for our community for the 2017-2018 academic school year. Gitsegukla is located approximately 40 km southwest of Hazelton, BC, near the Kitseguecla and Skeena Rivers. This is a professionally and personally rewarding opportunity for someone who wants to make an important difference in children’s lives, while working in a beautiful part of BC. We offer a strong sense of community and fulfilling opportunities to work closely with parents and Elders in support of the students.
Key Accountabilities and Scope:
Teachers are responsible to plan, organize and implement an appropriate instructional program in a learning environment that guides and encourages students to develop and fulfill their academic potential. Accountable to the School Principal, the teacher will facilitate learning by establishing relationships with their students, and by organizing learning resources and their classrooms’ learning environment. The teacher will develop and foster the appropriate skills and social abilities to enable the optimum development of children, according to age, ability and aptitude. They also assess and record progress and prepare their students for examinations. They link students' knowledge to earlier learning and develop ways to encourage it further, and challenge and inspire students to help them deepen their knowledge and understanding.
General areas of responsibility include:
- Teaching – Teaching all areas of the BC curriculum and taking responsibility for the progress of the student’s in their class. Planning, preparing and presenting lessons that cater for the needs of the whole ability range within their class. Assigning and grading class work, homework, tests and assignments. Organizing the classroom and learning resources and creating displays to encourage a positive learning environment. Motivating students with enthusiastic, imaginative presentation.
- Student Management – Observing, assessing and recording student’s performance and development. Providing feedback to parents and caregivers on a student's progress at parents' evenings and other meetings. Meeting with other professionals such as education welfare officers and educational psychologists, if required. Identifying and selecting different instructional resources and methods to meet students' varying needs. Managing student behavior in the classroom by establishing and enforcing rules and procedures and applying appropriate disciplinary measures where necessary.
- Administrative Tasks – Liaising with colleagues and working flexibly. Updating all necessary records accurately and completely as required by law, district policies and school regulations. Preparing required reports on students and activities. Participating in department and school meetings, parent meetings. Communicating necessary information regularly to students, colleagues and parents. Keeping up to date with developments with the structure of the curriculum, teaching resources and methods. Working with parents, and the community to maximize their involvement in the school and the development of resources for the school.
- Extracurricular activities – Organizing and taking part in school events, outings and activities which may take place at weekends or in the evening.
Experience and Education Requirements:
- A valid BC teaching certificate or eligibility for membership in the BC College of Teachers or eligibility for certification with the BC Teacher Regulation Branch Certification.
- Minimum of two years satisfactory classroom teaching experience in the elementary/intermediary school level.
- Ability to successfully and periodically undergo an appropriate criminal records review and police record check is required.
- Background/experience with aboriginal culture and educational issues considered an asset.
- Ability to promote high expectations and academic achievement for all students in a safe and nurturing environment
- Knowledge and practice of ReadWell, and Saxon Math
- Knowledge and experience with DIBELS Assessment Benchmarking and progress monitoring
- Ability to incorporate innovative ideas and creativity in the classroom
- Differentiates curriculum expectations and teaching strategies to meet the needs of all students
- Ability to engage students in a positive learning environment
- Ability to manage student behaviour in the classroom by establishing and enforcing rules and procedures consistent with the rules and disciplinary systems of the school
- Has the experience and ability to infuse the Gitxsan culture / language into the curriculum an as-set
- Experience and knowledge with special needs students and particularly those demonstrating language delay and behavioural needs
- Flexibility to work on extra-curricular activities and personal performance skills
- Exceptional inter-personal skills and particularly those related to parent/community involvement
If you’re a committed and passionate teacher that strives to communicate and to serve the Gitsegukla people in a manner that respects, enhances and promotes the cultural identity and well-being of both the individual and community, then this is an exciting opportunity worth exploring.
If you are interested in learning more about this exciting opportunity please forward your resume and cover letter in one of the following ways:
By email at email@example.com
By fax at 604.685.8594
Drop off at the Gitsegukla Band Office
All applications must comply with the Criminal Records Review Act. We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.