Work in BC’s most culturally diverse and urban school district, Vancouver School District No. 39. Set in one of the world’s most livable cities, Vancouver is a community-minded district seeking talented educators, progressive leaders, and skilled support staff to enrich the learning experience of Vancouver’s 50,000 students.
The Vancouver Board of Education welcomes applications for the role of Permanent/Continuing Education Assistant (Special Needs - School and Student Support A)
Term Continuing Position (Working months: Sept - June each year)
Salary = $26.38/hour + Comprehensive Benefits Plan Including:
MSP, Extended Health, Dental, (100% premiums paid by VSB), and Municipal Pension Plan
Hours of Work: 6.5 hours per day
Location: School Site TBA
In this role, you will:
- Provide school & student support to assist school as assigned
- Under the direction of a senior member of the team, implement individual programs and contracts for students who are unable to function in a regular classroom setting
- Evaluate and maintain records of student progress; discuss with team members any changes which may be made to an individual student's program
- Support parent engagement by organizing workshops and events
- Coordinate with community agencies as required
- Organize and participate in a wide variety of field trips, sports, social, recreational and craft activities
- Support students in community based programming such as work experience, travel training, and relevant community outings
- Provide support to students with respect to their social and emotional problems
- Manage verbal and/or physical “acting out” behaviour
- Supervise students, as required, and deal with disciplinary problems as they occur
- Prepare instructional aid materials; set up and operates instructional aid equipment
- Perform other work within the job band as required
- Completion of Grade 12
- Completion of a recognized Post-Secondary Special Education Assistant program, or a Degree/Diploma in a related field, and/or extensive experience in an equivalent field
- Ability to lift and position students of varying weights
- Where applicable, must possess or be willing to obtain an Occupational First Aid Certificate and will be required to perform Occupational First Aid duties if assigned by the Principal. OFA attendants may, at the direction of Employee Services, be required to perform emergency coverage at other locations
- Excellent communication skills in English, both oral and written
- The following are considered to be an asset:
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention training (e.g., CPI or MANDT)
- An excellent practicum or work evaluation
- Experience using techniques of Applied Behaviour Analysis
- Completion of POPARD coursework
- Ability to speak a second language
Your application must include:
- Cover letter
- Contact information for three supervisor references (phone numbers and email addresses)
This posting is ongoing until filled. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible
In accordance with the Criminal Records Review Act, selected candidates must sign a consent form to permit a criminal record review with a $28.00 processing fee. Employment with the Vancouver Board of Education is subject to passing this criminal record review.
Please be informed, due to a high volume of applications, we are unable to notify unsuccessful applicants or respond to inquiries regarding the status of an application. We will contact applicants directly if we are interested in moving forward or if an application required additional information.
MAKE A FUTURE APPLICATION PROCESS
- If you do not have a profile on Make a Future, please create a profile under the category, “ECE, EA/TA/ERW, Clerical, Secretarial, Administrative, Custodians, ect.”
- Once you have created your profile then, while you are logged in, please search this ad again and then click the "apply now" button at the end of this ad. You will then be able to apply and upload any supporting documents to the competition and answer the job posting questions.
- You will automatically receive an email from this website letting you know your application to the competition has been received.