Work in BC’s most culturally diverse and urban school district, Vancouver School District No. 39. Set in one of the world’s most livable cities, Vancouver is a community-minded district seeking talented educators, progressive leaders, and skilled support staff to enrich the learning experience of Vancouver’s 50,000 students.
The Vancouver Board of Education welcomes applications for the position of:
Office Administration with Accounting Duties
Salary: $27.49/hour plus 18.6% in lieu of benefits
(Total = $32.60/hour)
The VSB is actively recruiting Office Administration staff with Accounting/Bookkeeping experience as this is an area of shortage in our district. If you have knowledge, coursework, training, or experience in accounting/bookkeeping and meet the minimum qualifications listed below, then we would encourage you to apply to this posting. Most of our office administration positions are school-based; however, depending on your skill-set and interests there are opportunities to build your career in Human Resources, Payroll, Accounting, Purchasing, Operations, and various other departments. This position is on-call, but is busy throughout the year (generally working full-time hours) except for slower periods during school breaks (e.g., July, August, Spring/Christmas Break).
Once hired, you can choose to remain on the on-call list or you can apply to the VSB’s internal postings which include temporary contracts (e.g., mat leaves) and continuing/permanent positions. As the VSB is one of Vancouver’s largest employers (over 8,000 employees), there are many internal positions posted throughout the year. School-based positions are generally 10 month positions (offices closed during school breaks); whereas, positions in the VSB Main Office are generally full-time, 12 month positions. All permanent positions include a comprehensive benefits package (including extended health, dental and municipal pension plan) after passing a probation period of 16 weeks.
When working in our schools, you will use your excellent customer service skills to answer the phone, manage the school office, and help direct on-call staff. You will also perform clerical duties including reconciling and processing accounts and invoices and composing and preparing correspondence and reports. As an active member of the school community, you will contribute to a positive school culture and have a direct impact on the staff and students.
- Completion of Grade 12
- Related experience in an office environment or customer service
- Strong skills using Microsoft Word and Excel
- Excellent communication skills in English, both oral and written
- Completion of a certificate/diploma in the area of business administration or related field is an asset
- Experience working with an HRIS, payroll, or accounting system is an asset
- Must be willing to obtain an Occupational First Aid Level 2 Certificate and be comfortable in the role of first aid attendant. Course fees are paid by the VSB and employees are paid at the regular day's rate during the training.
- Knowledge, coursework, training, or experience in Accounting/Bookkeeping required
Your application must include:
- Cover letter
- Three reference names (must be supervisors), email addresses and telephone numbers
**This posting is ongoing until filled. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.**
In accordance with the Criminal Records Review Act, selected candidates must sign a consent form to permit a criminal record review with a $28.00 processing fee. Employment with the Vancouver Board of Education is subject to passing this criminal record review.
Please be informed, due to a high volume of applications, we are unable to notify unsuccessful applicants or respond to inquiries regarding the status of an application. We will contact applicants directly if we are interested in moving forward or if an application required additional information.
MAKE A FUTURE APPLICATION PROCESS
1. If you do not have a profile on Make a Future, please create a profile under the category, “ECE, EA/TA/ERW, Clerical, Secretarial, Administrative, Custodians, ect.”
2. Once you have created your profile then, while you are logged in, please search this ad again and then click the "apply now" button at the end of this ad. You will then be able to apply and upload any supporting documents to the competition and answer the job posting questions.
3. You will automatically receive an email from this website letting you know your application to the competition has been received.