School District No. 87 (Stikine)
Career Opportunity - Superintendent of Schools
School District No. 87 (Stikine) acknowledges that it operates on traditional territory of the Tahltan, the Taku River Tlingit and the Kaska First Nations people.
The Board of Education for School District No. 87 (Stikine) is seeking an innovative, resourceful, and collaborative educational leader to fulfill the role of Superintendent of Schools. The Board of Education will oversee an operating budget for approximately $7.1 million. On behalf of the Board, some 37 employees provide service to 150 students in 4 schools, dispersed across a vast geographic area in north-western British Columbia. Communities served include Dease Lake, Iskut, Telegraph Creek, Lower Post, and Atlin.
The Central Administration Office for the School District is located at Dease Lake, once a trading post, and now the regional hub for education, health, and other government services. The Stikine region offers a unique lifestyle, and it will appeal to those who enjoy outdoor pursuits in unspoiled wilderness in one of the most rugged and scenic areas of British Columbia. Economic activity in the region centres around mining, forestry, and tourism. The natural beauty of the region is surpassed only by the warmth and resilience of its people.
The Board is seeking a strong educational leader to work with them to build on a long tradition of community-based service to learners, 80% of whom have Indigenous heritage. The Board has recently worked to develop a unique 3 Nation Partnership Agreement to create the focus, relationships, and commitments required to support the aspirations of parents, community members, and local First Nation leaders for their students. The district is proud of its collegial relationships with employee groups, other local service providers, and community leaders. Working with the Board to operationalize and implement the 3 N Agreement, responding to the moral and educational imperatives of the Truth and Reconciliation process, and improving overall student outcomes will be the primary leadership opportunities for the new Superintendent.
The ideal candidate for this position will have had successful previous experience in a senior educational leadership role, as well as being able to provide evidence of:
- A commitment to equity for ALL learners, particularly those who are disadvantaged or vulnerable
- A commitment to respecting First Nations territory, history, “ways of knowing”, and to understanding the unique strengths and challenges these students bring to School District 87 classrooms
- A collaborative, conciliatory, and constructive approach to relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- An ability to initiate, create, and maintain trust in people, systems, and processes
- Flexible, creative, inclusive, innovative, and ethical approaches to problem-solving and decision-making
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills
Understanding of the complexity of all aspects of school district operations
- Familiarity with British Columbia’s educational direction, context, and commitment to Indigenous students’ success
- Completion of a graduate level degree in Educational Leadership, Administration, or Curriculum
The position will commence on August 1, 2020, or at a mutually satisfactory date. To apply, please send your resume and supporting documents BY FEBRUARY 28, 2020 to email@example.com.
More information about the position is available from search consultants, Julie MacRae and/or Catherine Jagger at Julie@gofutureshr.com or Catherine@gofutureshr.com More information on School District 87 is available at www.sd87.bc.ca or by contacting Superintendent, Mike Gordon by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.