School District 8 (Kootenay Lake) is nestled in the Southeast corner of British Columbia. We are a vibrant area, covering 6 "families of schools" in the centres of Creston, Crawford Bay, Kaslo/Meadow Creek, Nelson, Salmo, and the Slocan Valley. Our area is beautiful, vibrant, a fantastic place to raise children, has a world-renowned Arts and Entertainment community, and easily accesses a variety of amazing outdoor pursuits.
*If you are experiencing any technical issues with your application process to contact Make A Future's customer service line as HR cannot upload or assist with these types of issues. We also cannot accept documents via email such as cover letters/resumes/transcripts/teaching reports via email as they do need to be part of the employee's Make a Future profile.
Our FOCUS.LEARN.EXCEL philosophy and our Board of Education's Learning Goals of: Literacy, Numeracy, Indigenization and Inclusion guide our practice with our students. We focus on excellence for all learners in a nurturing environment.
School District #8 (Kootenay Lake) has a vacancy for a Multi-Grade French Immersion Classroom teacher at Canyon Lister Elementary School in Creston, B.C.
We are searching for a 1.0 FTE Continuing French Immersion teacher to join our team of professionals in delivering a quality educational program to our students.
The awarded applicant will have recent demonstrated successful French Immersion experience. They will have demonstrated positive collaboration with school staff, and knowledge to work appropriately with students who have learning challenges. The awarded applicant will be innovative and creative, understanding the BC Ed Plan and the district directions. He/she will be a person who is continually striving to improve pedagogy in a changing educational environment.
• Bachelor of Education (Elementary) with intermediate years major and French Immersion training and experience, ideally having worked at a Middle School in the past/present;
• A valid BC teaching certificate and current membership in the Teacher Regulation Branch.
Teachers applying for this position must possess the following attributes:
• Willingness to work closely with parents;
• Excellent classroom management skills;
• Knowledge of current instructional practices and curriculum
• Strong interpersonal, communication and collaboration skills
• Recent, demonstrated successful experience in a French Immersion setting
Recent, demonstrated successful experience in an elementary or middle school setting
• Significant training and experience working with a Learning Support and/or Inclusion Support teacher at the Elementary and/or Middle School level
• A demonstrated ability to work with colleagues
• Excellent organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to be flexible
• Familiarity with Middle School Philosophy, the needs of Middle Years Learners and enjoy working with this age group.
The ideal candidate will be expected to:
-Deliver courses in French Immersion classrooms
-Deliver offerings in the Lifelong Explorations
-Work in an atmosphere of collaboration with staff to build consistency and quality of programs
-Communicate effectively with staff and parents
-Be familiar with the BC Ed plan, school district board goals and school goals
-Implement school wide strategies to support the school board’s student expectations, school and class needs
-Support Individual Education Plans in a collaborative team environment
-Use differentiated instruction to meet the learning needs of diverse learners.
-Address diverse learning needs from an inclusion perspective
-Participate in on-going professional development and develop a personal growth plan
-Exhibit a thorough knowledge of the Intermediate level programs and of current assessment & learning practices
-Use authentic assessment strategies
-Be familiar with the use of learning portfolios and a letter grade free reporting format
-Be willing to engage students in meaningful community service activities
-Demonstrate a willingness to work collaboratively with others in developing school and district-based initiatives
-Demonstrate knowledge of using technology to support student learning
For more information about this position – please contact Laury Carriere, Principal at 250-428-4161 or firstname.lastname@example.org
School District 8 supports equity hiring for Indigenous applicants.