Learner Support/Humanities Teacher
Nisga’a Elementary Secondary School
School District No. 92 (Nisga’a) invites applications for a Learner Support/Humanities teacher at Nisga’a Elementary Secondary School. This is a full-time position starting as soon as possible. The assignment is to work alongside the District Literacy Consultants, Learning Resource Teacher and the School Based Team to support classroom teachers in the implementation of the District Strategic Plan. Other subjects may be part of the assignment.
Nisga’a Elementary Secondary School is in the Nass Valley in the community of New Aiyansh. The school currently holds an enrolment of 240 students from kindergarten to grade twelve.
The Nisga’a School District is situated at the end of a paved highway 97 km north of Terrace, a community with a Regional Airport offering regular two-hour air service to Vancouver. The lands of the Nisga'a Nation are blessed with soaring mountains, dramatic lava beds and thriving rivers and streams. The natural beauty of Nisga'a lands is complemented by the rich cultural traditions of the Nisga’a Nation. There is a wealth of outdoor activities to enjoy in the area, including fishing, hiking, cross-country skiing, snowmobiling and much more.
The district offers comfortable housing at a reasonable cost and enjoys small class size in all four district schools, which are located within one hour of each other along the banks of the Nass River.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated
• Appreciation for the important role that Language and Culture play in Indigenous Education
• A learner focused attitude
• An inquiry-based mind set
• Successful experience teaching in a primary setting
• Respect for diversity
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Respect for the importance of meaningful parent involvement in school
• Effective classroom management skills
• Commitment to collaboration and teamwork with colleagues
• Willingness to challenge students’ learners in a culturally rich environment
• The instructional knowledge & ability necessary to support classroom teachers in adapting instruction to meet the special needs of all learners
Pay and benefits are in accordance with the current Nisga’a Teachers Union Collective Agreement. We thank all applicants and advise that only those short-listed will be contacted. The successful candidate will hold a B.C. Teaching Certificate and be a member in good standing with the Teacher Regulation Branch. For further clarification please contact Ms. Jacqueline Borosa, Principal, at Nisga’a Elementary Secondary School. email@example.com.
Should you have any questions regarding this posting, please contact our Human Resources Department. Please include a resume and cover letter including three reference letters. This posting will remain open until filled.
Job Posting #19-026
Human Resource Department School District No. 92 (Nisga’a) Box 240
New Aiyansh, BC V0J 1A0