Teach in BC’s most culturally diverse and urban school district, Vancouver School District No. 39. Set in one of the world’s most livable cities, Vancouver is a community-minded district seeking talented educators, progressive leaders, and skilled support staff to enrich the learning experience of Vancouver’s 50,000 students.
Starting September 2017, we are changing our minimum requirements for all TTOCs. We require all our TTOC's to be available to work a minimum of 50% each month.
The Vancouver Board of Education (VSB) welcomes applications for the position of:
On-Call Mandarin Teachers (Elementary and Secondary)
On-Call Mandarin teachers are required at the elementary and secondary levels. Vancouver has two Mandarin bilingual schools at the elementary level: Norquay and Jamieson. In Mandarin Bilingual classes, instruction is provided in Mandarin for 50% of the school day throughout the year, including Mandarin language arts. The orthography taught will be traditional and zhuyin as well as simplified and pin yin. On-call Mandarin teachers may be required to teach up to 100% of the school day in Mandarin. Mandarin is also taught in some of the 18 secondary schools in Vancouver.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Completion of a Bachelor's of Education
- Completion of a successful teaching practicum and/or successful teaching experience in a Mandarin Bilingual classroom is required
- Completion of a Mandarin Immersion Methodology Teacher Training Program is an asset
- Native or Native-like fluency in both oral and written traditional Mandarin (not simplified) is required
- Native or Native-like fluency in English is required
- Membership in or eligible to become a member of the Teacher Regulation Branch
- Registration with the Teacher Qualification Service
- Experience and coursework in Bilingual language instruction is preferred
Your application portfolio must include the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Final Practicum Reports and/or teacher evaluations
- Academic Transcripts
- Current Teaching Certificate Status from the Teacher Regulation Branch website including date scanned
(Go to website, then Certificate Services, Find a Teacher, then search your name and click on it). * Must print out the page and then scan and upload to Make a Future to include the date you scanned it*
- Contact information for three Professional References: Faculty and School Advisors from your teaching practicum and/or teaching contract supervisors (principals, vice-principals)
Please be informed, due to a high volume of applications, we are unable to notify unsuccessful applicants or respond to inquiries regarding the status of an application. We will contact applicants directly if we are interested in moving forward or if an application requires additional information
HOW TO APPLY:
1. Please create a profile on Make a Future and ensure that you use the Job Category "Teachers, Principals & Superintendents"
2. Log in to the Make a Future website: http://www.makeafuture.ca/bc-school-districts/regions/metro/39-vancouver/ and search for this ad. Click on the ad and then click the "apply now" button at the end of the ad. You will then be able to apply and upload any supporting documents to the competition and answer the job posting questions.
3. You will automatically receive an email from this website letting you know your application to the competition has been received.
** The VSB has been given approval from the Human Rights Tribunal for a Special Program under s. 42(3) of the Human Rights Code. Under this special program, the VSB seeks to preferentially hire Aboriginal persons to a variety of teaching positions. Therefore, each applicant may wish to provide, on a voluntary basis, information whether she or he self-identifies as an Aboriginal person.